Tuesday, October 19, 2010

"That's the side effects: hungry, happy, sleepy."


Just to set the record straight: no, I am not a pothead. Caffeine has always been my poison of choice. But I still can't understand why our government is so against recreational marijuana use. Even if California does manage to pass Proposition 19, it will still be illegal under the Controlled Substances Act, which I think is a load of shit.

Pot isn't chemically addictive. No one has ever died from smoking one too many doobies (not directly, anyway). Marijuana also has medicinal potential.

... So why is it illegal, again?

Prohibition of alcohol at least made sense. Not only can you literally drink yourself to death - and many people do - but many people also lose their lives to drunk drivers. According to these statistics, drunk drivers claim lives at the rate of one every 39 minutes. Not only that, but I have personally seen friends suffer through living with alcoholic, abusive parents.

I don't think marijuana is totally harmless or without consequence, and I'm not saying that I don't drink. But if I had to choose the lesser of two evils, I'd definitely take an ounce of pot over a bottle of Jägermeister.



Dr. Jocelyn Elders, former Surgeon General under Bill Clinton, expressed her opinion in a CNN interview that it shouldn't be criminalized. I really hope she can use her influence to change public opinion.

To me, Katt Williams said it best: "Well why the fuck it's [weed] illegal I don't know. Aspirin is perfectly legal, but if you take 13 of them motherfuckers it'll be your last headache."

No comments:

Post a Comment